An Easy Way to Start Your Mornings Right
Flexibility is a super power. Whether you are an outdoorsy and active person or someone more laid-back and chill, it is important that you maintain a flexible body.
If you want to improve your general physical performance, increase your strength and avoid pain and injuries then integrating these flexibility-enhancing tips into your morning routine will be very helpful!
#1) Kickstart Your Day with Deep Breaths
Deep breaths may seem like the least exciting activity to get you going in the morning but it definitely does wonders!
For one, it re-energizes your mind and body by replenishing your oxygen supply. This relieves you from the anxiety and stress that can weigh you down as the day starts. It allows you to slow down and not get caught up with the morning rush – making you more calm and positive throughout the day.
Being in this relaxed state helps to stimulate flexibility in both your mind and body as you continue with this morning routine.
You can do your deep breaths either while sitting down or standing up – whatever way you find most comfortable. Make sure to do diaphragmatic breathing wherein your belly expands and your chest stays relatively still.
Inhales and exhales should not be less than 2 seconds each. Take at least 5 deep breaths.
#2) Stretch, Stretch, Stretch!
There are no shortcuts when it comes to developing a more flexible body. You’re going to have to put in the work day by day but trust us when we say the rewards are worth it.
Here are some stretching exercises that you can do every morning. It is highly recommended that you do all these exercises everyday but you can modify the routine depending on how much time you have.
Stretching for Neck Mobility
- Sit at the edge of your bed or chair and keep your feet flat on the floor
- Slowly rotate your head clockwise, trying to touch your ears to your shoulders. Do this 5 times.
- Do the same thing again but this time counterclockwise.
Shoulders Loosening Exercise
- While still seated with your feet flat on the floor, start shrugging your shoulders up to your ears. Repeat at least 10 times.
- Stand up straight and lace your fingers together. Raise your arms above your head stretching your rib cage. Hold for 10 seconds. You can also bend right and left for a few seconds each to loosen up the sides of the body.
- Stand straight and bend over touching your toes.
- If possible, keep your knees straight and hold for 10 seconds.
- Do this a couple times.
- Lie on one side while keeping your bottom leg straight.
- Pull your top leg towards your glutes. You can keep it in place by using your hand.
- Hold this position for no less than 30 seconds. Switch sides and repeat.
#3) Eat a nutrient-dense breakfast.
Have you heard the saying that goes, “Food is medicine”?
When working towards building a more flexible body, it is imperative to stay on a nutrient-dense diet by eating anti-inflammatory foods such as green leafy vegetables, nuts, fish that are high in Omega 3 fatty acids and fresh fruits.
Avoid inflammatory foods that aggravate your body and causes stiffness. This includes those that are high in sugar, unhealthy fats and processed carbohydrates.
And, don’t forget to keep yourself well-hydrated. Go for water (add some lemon if you like) and fresh natural juices such as orange and carrot. As much as possible, stay away from sugar sweetened and artificially flavored beverages.
The road to flexibility is a game of balance. Just like with most things in life, it is important to do everything in moderation. Keep in mind that being flexible will allow you to create deeper and more stable movements.
We want you to be empowered to do things in life more freely and vigorously. So, follow this morning routine and start living to the fullest.
Remember, flexibility is a super power!
Been more than 2 weeks since your last chiropractic adjustment? Call your nearest Evolve Chiropractor to set up an appointment today.